- Borrowing Books and Media
- Loan Periods
- Loan Limits
- Request items
- Overdue Fines
- Faculty & Administrators
Borrowing Books and Media
We welcome all CSUSM faculty, staff, students and Other users to the University Library.
Borrowing privileges for groups other than current CSUSM users are listed below and in the campus catalog.
- Borrowed items must be returned to the CSUSM Library
- A maximum of ten (10) items may be borrowed at one time
- Books and media may be renewed once
- Lost or damaged items are billed the replacement cost and a nonrefundable $10.00 billing fee per item
- Overdue item fine: books 0.25 per item, per day; media 1.00 per item, per day
- Electronic resources, such as databases and ebooks, can only be accessed in person at the library guest computer. Electronic resources cannot be accessed remotely (outside of the Library)
- Group Study Rooms are for CSUSM student use only
Please visit the Library 3rd floor Circulation & Reserves desk to apply for a library borrower card
- CSUSM Alumni member with proof of current Alumni membership status
- Community Borrower cards provide a picture ID
- Community Colleges and Mutual users: Mira Costa, Palomar, UCSD and USD provide their current campus ID card
- Other CSU Alumni members with current campus ID card
Circulating library books may be checked out at the 3rd floor Circulation & Reserves desk
- 365 days for faculty/staff
- 16 weeks for graduate and undergraduate students
- 30 days for all other users
Periodicals and microform items do not circulate
- 100 for faculty
- 40 for graduate students
- 30 for undergraduate students
- 30 for staff
- 10 for all other users
Items may be renewed one time online, in-person at the Circulation desk or by phone 760-750-4348
Media may be renewed one time online, in-person at the Circulation desk or by phone 760-750-4348
CSU+ and InterLibrary Loan no renewals
See Interlibrary Loan and CSU+ Borrowing
All library users with CSUSM borrowing privileges may request available library items. These items will be pulled by library staff and held for pick-up under the borrowers name at the Circulation desk or in the 24/7 Library Lockers. Items will be held for 10 days before being re-shelved.
Most library items can be requested but there are some exceptions including: reserves, reference, periodicals, archives and some special collections. An email will be sent to the borrower when the item is ready for pick-up. To have items pulled please call the circulation desk at 760/750-4348 or place request directly from the library website.
CSUSM books and media
- None for CSUSM students
- $1.00 per hour or per loan period
- $1.00 per day, per item
Lost/Damaged charge per item:
- CSUSM items replacement cost and nonrefundable $10.00 billing fee
- Media items replacement cost and nonrefundable $10.00 billing fee
- CSU+ item replacement charge is $90.00 and nonrefundable $10.00 billing fee
- Interlibrary Loan items replacement cost and nonrefundable $10.00 billing fee
- All payments for library fines must be made online. CSUSM campus users can login to their library account and pay fines.
- All users can pay in cash or by credit card at the Campus Cashiers Office (Cougar Central, Administration Bldg. 3800).
Faculty and Administrator Borrowing Information
CSUSM Administrators are defined in this policy as Presidents, Vice Presidents, Associate Vice Presidents, Deans, and Directors.
With a current CSUSM ID faculty and administrators are allowed the following:
- Borrow up to 100 items: CSUSM, CSU+ and Interlibrary Loan items
- 15 Interlibrary Loan book or article requests per week
- CSUSM books: 365 days with 1 renewal
- CSU+: 16 weeks, No renewal
- Media items: 30 days with 1 renewal
- Interlibrary Loan: the lending institution determines loan period, generally 2-3 weeks with the possibility of 1 renewal
Faculty and administrators are responsible for the timely return of library items and if not returned by the due date the items will be billed. Library privileges will be suspended until the items are returned.
Lost/Damaged charge per item:
- CSUSM item: replacement cost
- CSU+ item: $90.00
- Media item: replacement cost
- Interlibrary Loan item: replacement cost
Teaching Assistants/Support Staff
Faculty and administrators may grant their teaching assistants or support staff permission to check out items in their name. A proxy consent form (PDF, 38K) must be completed. Once the proxy user is set-up they will use their own ID card to borrow materials for the Faculty or Administrator.