- Borrowing Books and Media
- Loan Periods
- Loan Limits
- Request items
- Overdue Fines
- Faculty & Administrators
Borrowing Books and Media
We welcome all CSUSM faculty, staff, students and other users to the University Library. Borrowing privileges for groups are listed below and in the campus catalog.
Alumni Association Member, Community Borrower, CSUSM Retiree Association Member, Mira Costa and Palomar Community Colleges, UCSD and USD:
- Borrowed items must be returned to CSUSM Library
- A maximum of ten (10) items may be borrowed at one time
- Books and media may be renewed once
- Lost or damaged items are billed the replacement cost and a nonrefundable $10.00 billing fee per item
- Overdue item fine: books 0.25 per item, per day; media 1.00 per item, per day
- Electronic resources, such as databases and ebooks, can only be accessed in person at the library guest computer. Electronic resources cannot be accessed remotely (outside of the Library)
- Group Study Rooms are for CSUSM student use only
- Borrower card application form can be found here.
CSUSM Alumni member must provide proof of current Alumni membership status, card or letter from the Alumni Association.
Community Borrower cards are available at the 3rd floor Circulation & Reserves desk at no charge.
Community Colleges and Mutual users: Mira Costa, Palomar, UCSD and USD provide their current campus ID card to borrow items.
Other CSU Alumni provide a current campus ID card to borrow items.
Circulating library books may be checked out at the 3rd floor Circulation desk
- 365 days for faculty/staff
- 16 weeks for graduate and undergraduate students
- 30 days for all other users
Periodicals and microform items do not circulate
- 100 for faculty
- 40 for graduate students
- 30 for undergraduate students
- 30 for staff
- 10 for all other users
Items may be renewed one time online, in-person at the Circulation desk or by phone 760-750-4348
Media may be renewed one time online, in-person at the Circulation desk or by phone 760-750-4340
CSU+ and InterLibrary Loan no renewals
See Interlibrary Loan and CSU+ Borrowing
All library users with CSUSM borrowing privileges may request available library items. These items will be pulled by library staff and held for pick-up under the borrowers name at the Circulation desk or in the 24/7 Library Lockers. Items will be held for one week before being re-shelved.
Most library items can be requested but there are some exceptions including: reserves, reference, periodicals, archives and some special collections. An email will be sent to the borrower when the item is ready for pick-up. To have items pulled please call the circulation desk at 760/750-4348 or request directly from the library website.
CSUSM books and media
- None for CSUSM students
- $1.00 per hour or per loan period
- $1.00 per day, per item
Lost/Damaged charge per item:
- CSUSM items replacement cost and nonrefundable $10.00 billing fee
- Media items replacement cost and nonrefundable $10.00 billing fee
- CSU+ item replacement charge is $90.00 and nonrefundable $10.00 billing fee
- Interlibrary Loan items replacement cost and nonrefundable $10.00 billing fee
- All payments for library fines must be made online. CSUSM campus users can login to their library account and pay fines.
- Users can also pay in cash or by credit card at the Campus Cashiers (Cougar Central, Craven Hall 3800).
Faculty and Administrator Borrowing Information
CSUSM Administrators are defined in this policy as Presidents, Vice Presidents, Associate Vice Presidents, Deans, and Directors.
With a current CSUSM ID faculty and administrators are allowed the following:
- Borrow up to 100 items: CSUSM, CSU+ and Interlibrary Loan items
- 15 Interlibrary Loan book or article requests per week
- CSUSM books: 365 days with 1 renewal
- CSU+: 60 days, No renewal
- Media items: 30 days with 1 renewal
- Interlibrary Loan: the lending institution determines loan period, generally 2-3 weeks with the possibility of 1 renewal
Faculty and administrators are responsible for the timely return of library items and if not returned by the due date the items will be billed. Library privileges will be suspended until the items are returned.
Lost/Damaged charge per item:
- CSUSM item: replacement cost
- CSU+ item: $90.00
- Media item: replacement cost
- Interlibrary Loan item: replacement cost
Teaching Assistants/Support Staff
Faculty and administrators may grant their teaching assistants or support staff permission to check out items in their name. A written consent form (PDF, 38K) must be filled out each semester. ID will be required at each checkout to verify that the teaching assistant or support staff is the one allowed this privilege.
Library Services Desk:
Call: (760) 750-4348
Text: (760) 239-5106
We can be reached during the Library's operational hours. Please check the library website for hours.
Media Library Desk:
We can be reached during the Media Library's operating hours. Please check the Media Library website for hours.