- Borrowing Books and Media
- Loan Periods
- Loan Limits
- Request items
- Overdue Fines
- Faculty & Administrators
Borrowing Books and Media
We welcome all CSUSM faculty, staff, students and other users to the University Library. Borrowing privileges for groups are listed below and in the campus catalog.
Alumni Association Member, Community Borrower, Mira Costa and Palomar Community Colleges, Mutual UCSD and USD, CSUSM Retiree Association member:
- Borrowed items must be returned to CSUSM Library
- A maximum of ten (10) items may be borrowed at one time
- Books and media may be renewed once
- Lost or damaged items are billed the replacement cost and a nonrefundable $15.00 billing fee per item
- Overdue item fine: books 0.25 per item, per day; media 1.00 per item, per day
- Databases are available at the stand-up computers in the library and not available outside of the library
- Group Study Rooms are for CSUSM student use only
CSUSM Alumni member must provide proof of current Alumni membership status, card or letter from the Alumni Association
Community Borrower cards are available at the 2nd floor Media Library desk at no charge.
Community Colleges and Mutual users: Mira Costa, Palomar, UCSD and USD provide their current campus ID card to borrow items
Circulating library books may be checked out at the 3rd floor Circulation desk
- 365 days for faculty/staff
- 16 weeks for graduate and undergraduate students
- 30 days for all other users
Periodicals, microforms and reference items do not circulate
- 100 for faculty
- 40 for graduate students
- 30 for undergraduate students
- 30 for staff
- 10 for all other users
Items may be renewed one time online, in-person at the Circulation desk or by phone 760/750-4348
Media may be renewed one time online, in-person at the Circulation desk or by phone 760/750-4370
All library users with CSUSM borrowing privleges and in good standing may request available library items. These items will be pulled by library staff and held for pick-up under the borrowers name at the circulation desk. Items will be held for one week before being reshelved.
Most library items can be requested but there are some exceptions including: reserves, reference, periodicals, archives and some special collections. An email will be sent to the borrower when the item is ready for pick-up. To have items pulled please call the circulation desk at 760/750-4348 or request through the library website.
CSUSM books and media
- $1.00 per hour or per loan period
- $1.00 per day, per item
Lost/Damaged charge per item:
- CSUSM items replacement cost and nonrefundable $15.00 billing fee
- Media items replacement cost and nonrefundable $15.00 billing fee
- CSU+ item replacement charge is $90.00 and nonrefundable $15.00 billing fee
- Interlibrary Loan items replacement cost and nonrefundable $15.00 billing fee
- All payments for library fines must be made online. CSUSM campus users can simply login to their account and pay fines seamlessly.
- Users can also pay in cash or by credit card at the Campus Cashiers (Cougar Central, Craven Hall 3800).
Faculty and Administrator Borrowing Information
CSUSM Administrators are defined in this policy as Presidents, Vice Presidents, Associate Vice Presidents, Deans, and Directors.
With a current CSUSM ID faculty and administrators are allowed the following:
- Borrow up to 100 items: CSUSM, CSU+ and Interlibrary Loan items
- 15 Interlibrary Loan requests per week
Check Out Periods
- CSUSM books: 365 days with 1 renewal
- CSU+: 60 days, No renewal
- Media items: 30 days with 1 renewal
- Interlibrary Loan: the lending institution determines loan period, generally 2-3 weeks with the possibility of 1 renewal
Faculty and administrators are responsible for the timely return of library items and if not returned by the due date the items will be billed. A hold will be placed on the library record of anyone who has overdue or billed items. Library privileges will be suspended until the items are returned.
Lost/Damaged charge per item:
- CSUSM item: replacement cost
- CSU+ item: $90.00
- Media item: replacement cost
- Interlibrary Loan item: replacement cost
Library items borrowed will be on the faculty member's / administrator's library record. Overdue notices, bills or suspension of privileges will appear on the faculty member's/administrator's library record. Please renew or return library items in a timely manner.
Teaching Assistants/Support Staff
Faculty and administrators may grant their teaching assistants or support staff permission to check out items in their name. A written consent form (PDF, 38K) must be filled out each semester. ID will be required at each checkout to verify that the teaching assistant or support staff is the one allowed this privilege.