Supervising and ensuring the safety of minor children in the California State University San Marcos (CSUSM) University Library, as in any public place, is the responsibility of the parent or legal guardian. For their safety and well-being, minors should be accompanied at all times by an adult caregiver. Library employees will not supervise or monitor the activities of a minor. Parents or adult caregivers are responsible for any action by a minor.
Parents or guardians should be aware of the following safety concerns:
- The Kellogg Library facility is open to the public.
- The University Library provides access to content which may be inappropriate for a minor.
- Library employees are unable to authorize medical care if an unattended minor is injured or becomes ill.
- Library employees are unable to detain the minor, if the minor wishes to leave the building.
Responsibilities of University Library Employees
- If unattended minors are being disruptive, or if there is a concern for their safety, library employees will call University Police to escort the minor off the premises and locate the parent/caregiver.
- If minors are left in the Kellogg Library facility at closing time or in the event of an emergency situation, library employees will immediately call University Police to take custody of the minors.
For non-urgent concerns, please contact: (760) 750-4348
For urgent concerns, please notify University Police: (760) 750-4567
University Library Cabinet, 11/2015