Searching for books by Subject Headings
- Subject headings are words and phrases specifically created to tell you what a book is about.
- They are the controlled vocabulary of the catalog.
One way to search by subject headings is to begin with a keyword search in the library catalog.
- Locate a relevant item and click details to view the record.
- Click one of the links under "Subjects" to view a list of other items that have been assigned the same subject heading.
What's the difference between searching by keyword and searching by subject headings?
- Searching by keyword will return all results that include your search terms anywhere in the item record.
- It is a more broad, less focused search.
- Searching by subject will only return those results that have been tagged with that specific word or phrase as a subject heading.
- It will result in a more focused search.