Ebooks in the Library (including monologues and playscripts)
The CSUSM University Library has an extensive collection of ebooks on a variety of topics. To find what’s available:
- Go to the University Library homepage
- Choose “Books and More”
- Enter keywords or subject and search (for monologues, use monolog* and playscripts, use playscrip*)
- Use the limiters to narrow by “Full Text Online” to ensure all results can be accessed directly from your computer
- Limit by “Books” to filter out journals and media
Theatre Ebooks – CSUSM Library
Open Textbook Collections
- UC Press E-Book Collection
- ACLS Humanities E-Books
- Open Culture Meta Collection
- Open Textbook Library
- Cool 4 Ed
- Ebooks Directory
Searchable by keyword or topic.
A collection of millions of titles digitized from libraries around the world, including many of the great philosophy texts.
- Project Gutenberg
Project Gutenberg offers thousands of free ebooks. Books can be searched by title or by category.
- Open Library searches a variety of sources for print and online books. Many ebooks are freely available for online reading or download.
- Search YouTube by keyterms and try filtering by channel or “Creative Commons” license (these videos are specifically labeled for reuse).
- Tip: try searching YouTube by name of your favorite theatre company to see if they have a YouTube channel.
- TED Talks –Art / Comedy / Creativity / Culture / Film / Entertainment / Media / Movies / Performance / Performance Art / Social Change / Spoken Word / Storytelling / Television / Theatre / World Cultures / Writing
- A collection of TED Talks and playlists on Theatre and related topics.
- Open Video Project
Collection of links to sites offering a wide variety of freely-available filmed content.
- Prelinger Archives
Part of the Internet Archive, this is a major portion of the site’s moving image content.
- Videos through the CSUSM Library
- Select “Books & More” tab and use these limits: Full Text Available Online and Video.
- Library Media Reserves, including Video on Demand option (allows you to stream videos to CSUSM students). Keep in mind that you should leave at least 1 week of lead time for processing these requests.
Open Access Journals
Directory of Open Access Journals – search Open access journal titles
- OER Commons
Searchable by discipline and academic level, this site provides a broad range of instructional materials, including texts, images, videos, primary sources and more.
- Merlot – Theatre
Merlot (Multimedia Education Resource for Learning and Online Teaching) is a compilation of freely available resources for use in higher education, hosted by the California State Universities.
Other Open Educational Resources
- Performing Arts Encyclopedia (Library of Congress)
Providing links to digitized collections and exhibits as well as bibliographies. Both searchable and browseable to explore the rich variety of resources.
- Voice Recipe Online
A Voice Recipe is a method for analyzing voice using nine categories: temp, rhythm, articulation, pronunciation, pitch, volume, quality, word choice, and non-verbals.
- Global Performing Arts Database (GLOPAD)
–Film & Television
Other CSUSM Library Resources
More information about finding and using library resources can be found on the Theatre submenu of the Visual and Performing Arts Research Guide.