This semester, you are researching and writing an analysis regarding Brett Kavanaugh's interpretation of the Consitition. The fact that he has just been appointed a Supreme Court Justice will not have bearing on your analysis.
Dr. Beavers is asking you to report on what are Kavanaugh's views on judicial power and the Constitution. Use one specific consititutional issue to address the research paper's questions:
- What are Kavanaugh's views on judicial power and the Constitition? How have they evolved?
- What are the tools of consititutional interpretation he refers to?
- How will his stance on an issue uphold or affect the work of the Supreme Court?
- Evaluate Kavanaugh's understanding of judicial power (keep objective as much as you can)
From all this, argue YOUR view of:
- How should Kavanaugh's views on judicial power be treated as a factor in his confirmation?
- Are there other factors to consider in SCOTUS confirmations?
Using your assignment description, build a search strategy to save time and find relevant resources to support YOUR argument:
Locate prior writings by Kavanaugh (either relevant law review articles or prior opinions.)
What public statements has he made that reflect his views? (Testimony, speeches)
Locate reputable legal and scholarly sources that disagree with Kavanaugh's stance.
You need a MINIMUM of the following:
FOUR primary sources.
TWO scholarly or legal sources with alternative perspectives.