Ebooks in the Library
The CSUSM University Library has an extensive collection of ebooks on a variety of topics. To find what’s available:
- Go to the University Library homepage
- Choose “Books and More”
- Enter keywords and search
- Use the limiters to narrow by “Full Text Online” to ensure all results can be accessed directly from your computer
- Limit by “Books” to filter out journals and media
Sociology Ebooks – CSUSM Library
Open Textbook Collections
- Search YouTube by keyterms and try filtering by channel or “Creative Commons” license (these videos are specifically labeled for reuse).
- Some good channels:
Consider including journal articles as required or supplemental reading for your courses. Search through our Sociology databases for articles. Just be sure to direct students to the article by permalink (or static URL) rather than posting the PDF directly in your Cougar Course. This will ensure two things: 1) that we are complying with copyright and publisher restrictions, and 2) that our journal usage is counted (this allows us to justify maintaining our subscriptions).
- Open Yale Courses
- MIT Open Courseware
- Saylor free education: Introduction to Sociology course – Saylor provides the student with access to information on the topic of Sociology; outlining the history, the definition, and theoretical perspectives.
- Free Online College Courses – On Academic Earth are several different sociology courses using MIT OpenCourseWare and provided by UCLA, MIT, and the University of Notre Dame just to name a few, each covering different aspects of sociology. Also has a list of University lectures and videos.
- Merlot – Sociology Portal
Merlot (Multimedia Education Resource for Learning and Online Teaching) is a compilation of freely available resources for use in higher education, hosted by the California State Universities.
Hate and Extremism
This web site includes comprehensive documents on hate crimes across the USA. The Southern Poverty Law Center reports hundreds of active hate groups in the United States. This is something everyone needs to be aware of. Do you know what is in your backyard? Check it out. This is an excellent site for course assignments and or discussion in all fields of study.
News & Events
From the American Sociological Association, on this news page see Footnotes (Newsletter), and
The Society Pages
A blog forum of current ideas and news in the profession.
Other CSUSM Library Resources