Ebooks in the Library
The CSUSM University Library has an extensive collection of ebooks on a variety of topics. To find what’s available:
- Go to the University Library homepage
- Choose “Books and More”
- Enter keywords and search
- Use the limiters to narrow by “Full Text Online” to ensure all results can be accessed directly from your computer
- Limit by “Books” to filter out journals and media
Linguistics Ebooks – CSUSM Library
Open Textbook Collections
- Search YouTube by keyterms and try filtering by channel or “Creative Commons” license (these videos are specifically labeled for reuse).
- Tip: try searching YouTube by the title of your favorite journal publication to see if that journal also produces a YouTube channel.
- Khan Academy
- Lecture videos from 1-30 minutes in length
- Videos through the CSUSM Library
- Select “Books & More” tab and use these limits: Full Text Available Online and Video.
- Library Media Reserves, including Video on Demand option (allows you to stream videos to CSUSM students). Keep in mind that you should leave at least 1 week of lead time for processing these requests.
Consider including journal articles as required or supplemental reading for your courses. Search through our linguistics databases for articles. Just be sure to direct students to the article by permalink (or static URL) rather than posting the PDF directly in your Cougar Course. This will ensure two things: 1) that we are complying with copyright and publisher restrictions, and 2) that our journal usage is counted (this allows us to justify maintaining our subscriptions).
This page provides examples illustrating how to find permalinks in the Library’s databases.
Please contact your librarian if you are still unsure of how to find the permalink.
- Merlot – Linguistics
Merlot (Multimedia Education Resource for Learning and Online Teaching) is a compilation of freely available resources for use in higher education, hosted by the California State Universities.
Khan Academy: Linguistics
Variety of courses via video and related materials.
- OER Commons
Searchable by discipline and academic level, this site provides a broad range of instructional materials, including texts, images, videos, primary sources and more.
Other Open Educational Resources
- Linguistics courses
via Open Culture list of free online courses
- The University of Texas at Austin Linguistics Research Center
Provides a number of free resources related to Indo-European languages, a category that includes Latin and Greek as well as Spanish and English.
- Ethnologue: Languages of the World
Information and statistics on living languages.
Other CSUSM Library Resources
More information about finding and using library resources can be found on the Linguistics Research Guide.