Ebooks in the Library
The CSUSM University Library has an extensive collection of ebooks on a variety of topics. To find what’s available:
- Go to the University Library homepage
- Choose “Books and More”
- Enter keywords and search
- Use the limiters to narrow by “Full Text Online” to ensure all results can be accessed directly from your computer
- Limit by “Books” to filter out journals and media
Open Textbook Collections
- Search YouTube by keyterms and try filtering by channel or “Creative Commons” license (these videos are specifically labeled for reuse).
- Tip: try searching YouTube by the title of your favorite journal publication to see if that journal also produces a YouTube channel.
- Khan Academy
- lecture videos from 1-30 minutes in length
- Videos through the CSUSM Library
- Select “Books & More” tab and use these limits: Full Text Available Online and Audio Visual.
- Library Media Reserves, including Video on Demand option (allows you to stream videos to CSUSM students). Keep in mind that you should leave at least 1 week of lead time for processing these requests.
Consider including journal articles as required or supplemental reading for your courses. Search through our linguistics databases for articles. Just be sure to direct students to the article by permalink (or static URL) rather than posting the PDF directly in your Cougar Course. This will ensure two things: 1) that we are complying with copyright and publisher restrictions, and 2) that our journal usage is counted (this allows us to justify maintaining our subscriptions).
This page provides examples illustrating how to find permalinks in the Library’s databases.
Please contact your librarian if you are still unsure of how to find the permalink.
Other Open Educational Resources
Learn indigenous languages and participate in language preservation
- Linguistics courses,
via Open Culture list of free online courses
- The University of Texas at Austin Linguistics Research Center
Provides a number of free resources related to Indo-European languages, a category that includes Latin and Greek as well as Spanish and English.
- Ethnologue: Languages of the World
Information and statistics on living languages.
Includes lesson plans and activities, complete with worksheets to download, for primary, secondary and adult teachers.
- Foreign Language Teaching Methods
An online, video-based methods course focusing on best practices for foreign language instruction at the high-school and college levels. It features 12 interactive media-rich modules taught by different professors from the University of Texas at Austin. Modules include Listening, Speaking, Reading, Writing, Vocabulary, Grammar, Pragmatics, Culture, The Language Learner, Technology, Classroom Management, and Assessment.
- OLAC Language Resource Catalog
This catalog provides access to a wealth of information about thousands of languages, including details of text collections, audio recordings, dictionaries, and software, sourced from dozens of digital and traditional archives.
- The Virtual Linguistics Campus
This YouTube playlist contains videos of lectures and screencasts that are used in the VLC “Introduction to Linguistics Classes.” Note: These classes may comprise different units – depending on the target audience: BA, MA, Teacher degree, etc.
- C-V-C: Phonemic Awareness
Kindergarten teacher Heather Lopez works with her students on consonant-vowel-consonant (C-V-C) single-syllable words as they learn to read.
Other CSUSM Library Resources