Ebooks in the Library
The CSUSM University Library has an extensive collection of ebooks on a variety of topics. To find what’s available:
- Go to the University Library homepage
- Choose “Books and More”
- Enter keywords and search
- Use the limiters to narrow by “Full Text Online” to ensure all results can be accessed directly from your computer
- Limit by “Books” to filter out journals and media
Open Textbook Collections
- Search YouTube by keyterms and try filtering by channel or “Creative Commons” license (these videos are specifically labeled for reuse).
- Tip: try searching YouTube by the title of your favorite journal publication to see if that journal also produces a YouTube channel.
- TED Talks
- Khan Academy
- lecture videos from 1-30 minutes in length
- Films for Action
Films For Action has cataloged over 1,500 of the best films and videos that can be watched free online. These films address social, environmental, and media-related issues.
Over 19 million free and re-usable images from around the world.
- Videos through the CSUSM Library
- Select “Books & More” tab and use these limits: Full Text Available Online and Audio Visual.
- Library Media Reserves, including Video on Demand option (allows you to stream videos to CSUSM students). Keep in mind that you should leaveÂ at leastÂ 1 week of lead time for processing these requests.
Consider including journal articles as required or supplemental reading for your courses. Search through our global studies databases for articles. Just be sure to direct students to the article by permalink (or static URL) rather than posting the PDF directly in your Cougar Course. This will ensure two things: 1) that we are complying with copyright and publisher restrictions, and 2) that our journal usage is counted (this allows us to justify maintaining our subscriptions).
MIT Open CourseWare
MIT offers over 2400 open courses covering a variety topics. Includes re-usable lecture videos, problem sets and exams. Especially excellent in international relations and comparative politics with an orientation toward issues of public policy both domestic and international.
Other Open Educational Resources
Free audio recorder and editor, used by Podcasters worldwide.
A downloadable app for recording audio on mobiles or the web, up to three minutes free.
Other CSUSM Library Resources