Open Textbook Collections
- Search YouTube by keyterms and try filtering by channel or “Creative Commons” license (these videos are specifically labeled for reuse).
- Tip: try searching YouTube by the title of your favorite journal publication to see if that journal also produces a YouTube channel.
- TED Talks
- Khan Academy
- Lecture videos from 1-30 minutes in length
- Videos through the CSUSM Library
- Select “Books & More” tab and use these limits: Full Text Available Online and Video.
- Library Media Reserves, including Video on Demand option (allows you to stream videos to CSUSM students). Keep in mind that you should leave at least 1 week of lead time for processing these requests.
- On the Media, WNYC’s weekly investigation into how the media shapes our world view.
Consider including journal articles as required or supplemental reading for your courses. Search through our communication databases for articles. Just be sure to direct students to the article by permalink (or static URL) rather than posting the PDF directly in your Cougar Course. This will ensure two things: 1) that we are complying with copyright and publisher restrictions, and 2) that our journal usage is counted (this allows us to justify maintaining our subscriptions).
- Saylor.org Communication Major
Free courses in the areas of Mass Communication and Communication Studies. Some are open, while some are planned for the future.
- Basic photography for the mass media
“This class for beginning mass media photographers and photojournalists includes illustrated exercises, practical principles, videos, readings and portfolios. Also available is a nine-part self-guided Photoshop tutorial, and downloadable photos for practice.”
“This class-based tutorial takes you through American history through the vision of the nation’s mass media. It includes videos, a gallery of photos and publications from the past, as well as readings and exercises. Features include a history of photography and a video and essay explaining plagiarism.”
Other Open Educational Resources
Free audio recorder and editor, used by Podcasters worldwide.
A downloadable app for recording audio on mobiles or the web, up to three minutes free.
Other CSUSM Library Resources