Ebooks in the Library
The CSUSM University Library has an extensive collection of ebooks on a variety of topics. To find what’s available:
- Go to the University Library homepage
- Choose “Books and More”
- Enter keywords and search
- Use the limiters to narrow by “Full Text Online” to ensure all results can be accessed directly from your computer
- Limit by “Books” to filter out journals and media
Open Textbook Collections
- Search YouTube by keyterms and try filtering by channel or “Creative Commons” license (these videos are specifically labeled for reuse).
- Some good channels:
- Tip: try searching YouTube by the title of your favorite journal publication to see if that journal also produces a YouTube channel.
- TED Talks
- A collection of TED Talks and playlists related to Chemistry.
- Khan Academy
- Lecture videos from 1-30 minutes in length
- Videos through the CSUSM Library
- Try changing up keywords based on your specific interest/topic. Limits used: Full Text Available Online and Video.
- Library Media Reserves, including Video on Demand option (allows you to stream videos to CSUSM students). Keep in mind that you should leave at least 1 week of lead time for processing these requests.
Consider including journal articles as required or supplemental reading for your courses. Search through our chemistry databases for articles. Just be sure to direct students to the article by permalink (or static URL) rather than posting the PDF directly in your Cougar Course. This will ensure two things: 1) that we are complying with copyright and publisher restrictions, and 2) that our journal usage is counted (this allows us to justify maintaining our subscriptions).This page provides examples illustrating how to find permalinks in the Library’s databases.Please contact your librarian if you are still unsure of how to find the permalink.
Virtual Chemistry Lab
Online simulation of a chemistry lab. Requires Java plugin download.
Interactive Simulations for General Chemistry
The collection of interactive simulations covers a wide range of general chemistry topics, with each simulation addressing key concepts and enable students to practice and teachers to demonstrate these topics.
Other CSUSM Library Resources
More information about finding and using library resources can be found on the Chemistry & Biochemistry Research Guide.