Find legislation by topic or bill number
State Legislation & Ballot Propositions
- California Assembly and Senate Bills, Legislative Counsel of California. Search by keywords or bill number to find state legislation about your topic. You can search the current or past sessions. Included in this database are the following:
- Status and history
- Bill text
- Analysis (this analysis is used by legislators to make voting decisions, so it would be considered a primary source)
- California Ballot Propositions. From the Secretary of State, this page will link you to voter information guides from past elections. In order to find information about your proposition, you will need to know what ballot it appeared on. Ballot Measure Archive
- Get the election results from the Statement of Vote
- THOMAS, Library of Congress. THOMAS includes legislative information from the U.S. Congress. Search by keywords or bill number to find federal legislation about your topic. You can search the current or past sessions. When you find a bill, click on "Bill Summary & Status" for the following:
- Text of Legislation
- Related Bills
- Major Congressional Actions - this is where you will find the voting records, and passage/failure
- Years and Session Dates of Congress If you have the bill number and year, but not the session of Congress, use this website to get it.
Finding Court Cases
The best source for CASES is Lexis/Nexis Academic found in the research databases page.
- You can search for a case by the name of the case right from the main search screen.
- You can search by the citation from the main search screen (347 U.S. 475). For more on citations see: http://www.lexisnexis.com/communities/academic/default.aspx
- OR you can search following these steps: On the left menu choose US LEGAL, then select Federal & State Cases.Then see below:
To find a case involving due process:
See this short video (no audio) for a demonstration of this search: http://www.screencast.com/users/infolitlib/folders/Jing/media/896e6a3c-d24d-4ce2-8cfc-cefb39caad4a
Search within Document Sections :