Plagiarism is the act of taking credit for work that is not your own and can have very serious consequences.
CSUSM's official Academic Honesty Policy outlines expectations for students.
- Scroll down to Part VI: Definitions for information related to citation and plagiarism.
Definitions of Plagiarism
Merriam Webster Definitions
- to use the words or ideas of another person as if they were your own words or ideas
- to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own
- use (another's production) without crediting the source
- to commit literary theft : present as new and original an idea or product derived from an existing source
"Plagiarize." Merriam-Webster.com. Merriam-Webster, n.d. Web. 23 Sept. 2015. <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/plagiarize>.
Plagiarism.org definition Plagiarism.org has useful information but be aware it is sponsored by a fee-based service that is not affiliated with or endorsed by CSUSM Libraries.
Tutorials about Plagiarism
Accidental Plagiarism - Don't Let it Happen to You- University of Arizona Libraries
Plagiarism Tutorial- University of Texas Libraries
Videos on Plagiarism
Video from Bainbridge State College
Video from Brock University Canada
Video created by the University of Bergen Norway- press CC to view caption in English