Many nations collect and publish information which can vary in quantity and availability. There can be access barriers due to language issues or technology. The links provided here are for information generated by non-US goverments as well as international and non-governmental such as the International Red Cross and United Nations.
- Africa: Country Pages
From the University of Pennsylvania
- Canada, Government of
The official site for the Canadian government, see also Canadian Parlimentary Publications: A Research Guide
- World Leaders
Assembled by the Central Intelligence Agency and updated monthly, this is a list of who is in what position in foreign governments. Note addresses and contact information are not provided.
A wealth of links to information on the association of 53 nations through the Secretariat for the Commonwealth based in London.
- Countries in Latin America and the Caribbean
Provided by the University of Texas, click on "Countries" in the directory to access a list of nations.
- Country Studies
Electronic version of formerly hard copy texts on developing nations of the world. The information is updated approximately every 12 years by experts at the Library of Congress.
- List of Foreign Governments
Part of Northwest University, this site lists nations of the world with links to the official agencies. Many of these sites will be in a language other than English, but an English-language alternative may be available.
- Governments on the WWW
While not updated frequently, this site is a wealth of information about governmental institutions including parliaments, ministries, courts, and city councils from over 200 countries.
- Mexico, Republic of
The official website for Mexico, only in Spanish. The President of Mexico's site offers an English language version for some information.
- Russian and East European Network Information Center
Provided by the University of Texas.
- World Factbook
From the Central Intelligence Agency, used for a variety of resource topics on each nation.
- United Nations
The largest international organization of governments. Search their document system through this portal.
The search engine for the European Union site. Also see University of California Berkeley's extensive site on the EU.
- International Committee of the Red Cross
Activities, legal information and more from the worldwide humanitarian organization.
- NGO Cafe
An organization of organizations, this site is a means for non-government organizations to share information. The easiest way to navigate the page on your first visit is to open the site map and drill down to see the different categories of information available.
- World Trade Organization
Information on international trade negotiations, agreements, meetings and official business of the organization. Be aware there is a hoax site at http://www.gatt.org/ that uses the WTO website look, for the purpose of protesting the WTO.
Population and Housing Censuses
Includes both Demographic Yearbook and summary reports from the United Nations
World Population Clock (US Census Department)
Social and Legal
- Foreign and International Law Guides (Library of Congress)
- Health (World Health Organization) Discussion of issues and current problems in health around the world
- Human Rights one of several United Nations' sites for the Declaration of Human Rights, statistics and reports.
- Law (Guide to Law Online) Assembled by the Library of Congress to link to sources on government and law throughout the world including multinational, national and US territories.
- Nations of the World Assembled by the Library of Congress, links are provided to constitutions, governing bodies and legal resources.
- World Leaders Maintained by the CIA
Censuses & Statistics (National and Topical)
- FAOSTAT (formerly AquaStat) (Water)
Collected by the Food and Agriculture Organization (United Nations) Statistics Division on water sources and use.
- Key Development Indicators
Collected by the World Bank and includes Country Profiles.
- World Census of Agriculture
Collected by the Food and Agriculture Organization (United Nations) Statistics Division. Although data has been collected every 10 years, beginning with 1980, the available data is for 1990 and 2000
- Statistics Canada (demographics, agriculture and much more)
- Australian Bureau of Statistics
- UK National Statistics Hub
- Statistics Bureau of Japan
- National Bureau of Statistics of China
- Latin America--World Bank and LANIC versions
- World Bank Data Catalog (much more than statistics)
- World FactBook (CIA)