What is the GEL Research Module?
The Research Module will introduce you to the basics of college-level research. The skills you learn during the module will help you for two main reasons:
1. Specifically, for the research project and presentation you will do in this class.
2. In general, for the papers and projects you will be expected to do for the rest of your college career.
By the time you finish the Research Module, you will be able to:
* Identify the information you need
* Find the information effectively and efficiently
* Evaluate the information retrieved critically
* Use the information to create new information (your assignments)
* Behave with an awareness of the ethical and legal issues regarding information use
Expectations for Classroom Environment
* The Module covers A LOT of information in a short period of time, so attendance and participation are mandatory.
* Students who are excessively or regularly late will not receive credit for attendance
* Appropriate classroom behavior is required (e.g. NO foul language or lack of respect to the instructor or each other, no iPods, no text messaging, no eating during class.)
* Each class activity and homework assignment is for credit and must be completed on time. NO extra credit will be given and no late work will be accepted.
Schedule & Points
In-class activities/attendance - 30 pts
Final project - 60 pts
Quizzes - 60 pts
Total Points for Research Module - 150 pts
Note: The Office of Disabled Student Services provides a variety of services and resources to students. Students with disabilities should contact me immediately to ensure appropriate accommodations are made during the Library Module.
Last Update: March 10, 2010 08:26