These guidelines apply to all areas of the California State University San Marcos Library facility.
Visitors to the Library are welcome to take a few photographs for their personal use without formal authorization from the Library Dean’s Office, providing Library staff and users are not inconvenienced in any way. All other photography or filming requests must be approved by the Library Dean’s Office according to the guidelines and procedures below. Photography or filming for commercial or news media purposes also must be cleared through the Office of Communications, 760-750-4010.
Use of photographic or film equipment within the library:
- Must not interfere with the study, research, privacy, or safety needs of Library users;
- Must honor quiet study areas;
- Must not violate any CSUSM policies, rules, or regulations;
- May not hinder access to exits, stairways, corridors, doorways, and other Library areas;
- May sometimes be restricted during midterms or near final examinations.
Those who make extensive use of photographic or film equipment, use lights or tripods, or shift (or otherwise make use of) Library materials or furniture, must also:
- Schedule the project for a period of low Library usage;
- Minimize disturbance to Library staff and users;
- Minimize re-arrangement of furniture or Library materials, return any furniture used to its original location, and place Library materials in designated locations for reshelving;
- Keep in mind that Library staff members prefer not to be filmed or photographed when working.
Individuals or groups who photograph or film within the Library must:
- Complete the Photography Request Form available online at http://library.csusm.edu/forms as far in advance of the requested time as possible;
- Receive a copy of the approved and signed request form;
- Be prepared to present the approved request form to Library staff upon request at any time in which photography/filming is occuring;
- Obtain prior consent of any individual who is to be the subject of the photography/filming.
Right to Terminate
The Library reserves the right to terminate any photography or filming that causes an undue disturbance, violates Library or University policies or regulations, or endangers the health and safety of participants, Library patrons, and Library staff.
Contact the Library Dean's Office, 760-750-4330 or visit CSUSM Library on the web at biblio.csusm.edu. Thank you for your cooperation.